5/23/11

Creative Process

Well, after almost 15 years doing design, I was finally approached with a request to design an invitation. I was hoping it would be for a wedding, or a gala, or some really formal event where I could experiment with printing processes, paper stocks, embossed stamping, die cuts, and all the fancy stuff print designers get excited about. Minor let down... however the design was fun and casual, and turned out rather nice.

My client wanted something informal, yet stressing the concept of it being meaningful and rich; as it was to celebrate a local doctor's 50th birthday party. The problem: "You have this weekend to come up something, because we need it printed by Monday". Yikes! You all know that feeling... the creative juices must flow now!

Here’s my creative process that I’ve stuck to for years:

1. Meet with client(s) to discuss themes, colors, information, goals, audience, etc.

2. Create/sketch/comp initial designs and ideas.

3. Research and obtain photos, images, and artwork.

4. Implement images, “brush up” designs.

5. Write copy, layout typography, choose font combination and implement into designs.

6. Select the best designs and send design proofs to client for feedback.

7. Make necessary updates, redesign “holes” (things I missed, or wanted to add), proofread, etc.

9. Contact client for final words, thoughts, and updates.

8. Make print ready, output to multiple file formats (.psd, .pdf, .eps, .jpg).

10. Send to printer, send invoice and thank you to client, ask client for recommendation and finished work for portfolio.

This process has saved my behind more than once! I tend to be more art-like and less business-like so it’s easy to get distracted without it. After all was said and done – it took maybe six hours. I had no idea what to charge for this product. I probably undercharged my services, but my client is a friend and I appreciated the chance to get to work with her on this. Plus I got to add another nice piece to my portfolio.

Knowledge: Know your work flow, attribute for all the time it takes to follow through every step (I like 10 steps because they’re easy to remember). Make a point to let this sink into your work habit. Post it on your screen, tack it to your corkboard, write it in your idea journal – whatever you do “know” it, and know you know it. Work it. Live it. Do this enough times as a designer and you’ll be more successful, because your brand will be “felt”.